Happy Fall 2018,
Can you believe it, princesses, it’s Fall! We just completed our first in person and online-- yay for Week 1. We have nine more weeks left. Keep in mind that each session in person and online is every other week.
Our next in-person session Week 2 is Tuesday, September 25th 6:00- 8:00 pm @ Stark County District Library.
The online session will be Tuesday, October 2nd from 7:00- 8:30 pm. The online link is listed below:
Online Week 2- October 2nd @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/159891984
Meeting ID: 159 891 984
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16465588656,,159891984# or +16699006833,,159891984#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 646 558 8656 or +1 669 900 6833
1. Week 1 ~ Chapter 1 of Esther (Hope, Plans and Purpose)
Okay, let’s jump into Week 1 review. How’s did the reading go? If you are following along with us through the GO! Monday Report, please read Esther, Chapter 1. In this book, you will find that the stage is being set. It’s like a backdrop to a theatrical production. Interestingly, the book of Esther, Chapter 1, starts off a little bit like “once upon a time…”.
From history to party planning, to the party, this is chapter one. Take a look:
· This is what happened during the time of Xerxes, the Xerxes who ruled over 127 provinces stretching from India to Cush. (NIV)
· This is the story of something that happened in the time of Xerxes, the Xerxes who ruled from India to Ethiopia. (The Message)
· This is what happened in the days of Ahasuerus, the Ahasuerus who ruled over 127 parts of the nation from India to Ethiopia. (NLV)
· These events happened in the days of King Xerxes, who reigned over 127 provinces stretching from India to Ethiopia. (NLT)
· Now in the days of Ahasuerus, the Ahasuerus who reigned from India to Ethiopia over 127 provinces. (ESV)
· These events took place during the days of Ahasuerus, who ruled 127 provinces from India to Cush. (HCSB)
With this as our backdrop, hope, plans, and purpose are foundational. We do know a few additional things about Chapter 1:
Ahasuerus (Hebrew for Xerxes)
King Ahasuerus ruled over 127 provinces from India to Ethiopia (Cush)
At this time, the Persian Empire was the largest the world had ever seen. It covered what we call today Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Jordan, Lebanon, and Israel; and also, parts of modern day Egypt, Sudan, Libya, and Arabia.
Ahasuerus inherited the vast Persian Empire from his father, Darius I.
The author of the book of Esther is unknown, though some attribute the work to Mordecai, Esther's older cousin.
The name of God is strangely omitted, but the presence of God is felt throughout the book of Esther.
Esther was from the tribe of Benjamin, part of the kingdom of Judah and taken into captivity by the Babylonians.
The year was 483 B.C. The Israelites are out of exile and some remain in the Persian territory.
The book is part of the "writings" (Hebrew ~ Ketubim).
The book belongs to the five "scrolls" (Hebrew ~ megilloth), which are still read today at certain feast days in the synagogue.
They call it מגילה or Megillah, "The Volume", by way of eminence; and hold it in the highest estimation. We’ll talk more about the whole Megillah.
The Megillah is read during the feast of Purim
History records the observation of the feast of Purim,
The book shows a strong testimony of the feast of Purim.
2. The Feast of Purim? What Is It?
Throughout the book of Esther, we will be charting the Parties, Unknowns, Rescues, Ironies and Moments (PURIM notes). Princesses, this book is full of them! More to come next week. For now, please continue to read Chapter 1. More about the Feast of Purim next week!
Oh, princesses of faith...remember
Prayer “empowers and ‘charges up’ every other piece so they can be used effectively against the enemy. Without prayer… your armor, cannot, will not, be infused with the power that only God’s-Spirit can give."
Know that through the Holy Spirit you can:
· do things you couldn't;
· feel things you didn't; and
· know things you wouldn't.
GO! PLAYLIST...For your praise and worship:
GO! 9/24/18- New feature, contains a playlist of songs and Books of the Bible (from Bible Project) for your praise and worship time.
· THIS WEEK Fall/Winter GO! Session 8 ~ Esther, It's Hard Being A Women
Remember, each day is an opportunity for us to...
Lead, Serve and GO!